11/16/09

Livin La Vida Loca

I had a pretty full weekend and I wish my life was a little more dull so that I could've gotten some homework done.

My cousin Mo flew in from Philadelphia just to watch a concert from this techno dude named BT. His music wasn't so bad! Unfortunately she told my parents that the event was 21+ before I could pull her aside to tell her about my fakie. Because her concert ended at 2am, I hung out with the old folks at the lame Asian karaoke lounge to pass the time. When we reached downtown to pick her up, there were all these Marines in their Blues walking around in the rain. Mo said that the club was full of them. I guess Marines like Techno. On the drive home Mo and I had a loooong discussion about Harry Potter. Something I couldn't do with any other family member. We also talked concerts and my ass NEEDS to make it to LOTR II next year. The concert should fall somewhere around Killer's bday and I'd LOVE to take him instead of my sister who doesn't completely enjoy any of the movies.

Saturday I took my cousin to the city where we did all sorts of touristy things like riding the streetcar, Fisherman's Wharf, Boudin, Musee Mechanique, Ghirardelli Square, then back to Union Square. We also went to the Jewish Contemporary Museum to check out the Maurice Sendak exhibit which was enjoyable but not as BIG as I thought it would be. His exhibit took up a small wing of the museum which didn't match with the hundreds of advertisements and banners decked around the city. There definitely were some wonderful things. I've always loved his illustrations of fantasy combined with his use of detail from crosshatching, shading, rendering. Growing up (a Jew, this was heavily promoted, duh, Jewish museum) he was surrounded by death, oppression, disease, the Holocaust, the transition/struggle of moving to America and all of that was illustrated in his work. Yes, in the kiddy books. He used goblins and other evil creatures to represent death, anger, AIDS, etc. Reminded me of Killer's outlook on how parents shouldn't censor things from their children; the world IS a scary place. Here are a few quotes from the exhibit:

"Fantasy only makes sense only if it's rooted 10 ft deep in reality"

"...And the children get shot on the way to school, contract aids; they are in the most vulnerable position imaginable. If we aren't honest with them they'll die."

"...he wanted to blur the lines between good and evil, asking readers to find beauty in the devils, and clumsiness in the angels" (something about Sendak's grandmother dressing his sick cousin in all white so that Death would not take him; tricked into thinking he was already an Angel)

"We make up things that mean things. That's how you get through life, you make it up."

After that was Mr. Hyphen. Golfy won! Competition was tough. All the contestants were equally charming, intelligent, and hardworking. Funny how that Golfy's talent portion ended up being the fan favorite. During Q+A when asked 3 people he would like to have dinner with, he picked Ricky Martin, Michelle Maykin, and Danity Kane. Afterwards was the afterparty at Mua. I had waaay too much to drink. I need to get my act together. I'm actually kind of mad and disgusted with myself. I NEED to get my act together.

Sunday I went to Skidazzle with Jump, Peter, and Wit. Got an awesome new Roxy jacket which I thought looked "Soooo Alexander McQueen". It was from last season and priced at $139 and it was sooo much better than the rest of the crap on that sale rack. Most Womens' jackets feature some ugly graphic print or overall just lacks in character. My new jacket is black but the details are wonderful. When I showed Killer through Skype and he straight up said it looked very similar to his Blues jacket. D'oh. It really does. I didn't even realize the ridiculous similarites before I made the purchase! It's pretty on point; it's black, gold buttons with a sort of engraved emblem, red topstitching, red lining, the double-breasted detail. The Marines' Blues jacket is definitely good looking but I don't want to look like a Marine. That's his thing, not my own. Peter and Jump didn't tell me it looked like a Blues jacket so on the slopes I'm banking on the fact that not too many people know what a Marine's uniform looks like.

At Skidazzle I purchased a Heavenly season pass for my dad at $350, he needs to pay me back asap. I got 2 free drink tickets for that purchase and I totally handed them over to Peter. Got 3 free pairs of shoelaces, and 2 pairs of socks. Army green for Killer, magenta for me. =) Almost bought a snowboard but I love my old crappy one TOO MUCH. Three Red Bull shots, a free lift ticket to Bear Valley, Sierra Summit, Northstay, Sierra-at-Tahoe, Mt. Rose with a bunch of fine print, discount card to Any Mountain, and a $20 off coupon for Heavenly.

Drove around San Jose, got food at La Vic's which btw, SUCKS and the only reason I could enjoy my burrito was because it was DRENCHED in the famous orange sauce. Wandered around the zoo which was Great Mall and finally made it home.

I wish I could have taken my cousin out more while she was here, but we closed the night with a showing of The Boat That Rocked at Century 25. One of my favorite scenes, the barhopping scene, got cut out from the version Killer had. It was a really funny scene and I'm sure the only reason it got taken out was because it wasn't consistent with the fact that the movie is about a boat and they were on land for that ONE part. Sucks. In the beginning they roll the cast credits to Phillip Seymore Hoffman dancing. THAT is inconsistent with the rest of the film because you CAN'T point him out as a main character. Everyone got pretty equal screen time.

PS, Mama V's son Jason is engaged! Yay, wedding to plan!!! And it's so weird that he's walking, like 2 months ago he fell off his bike and looked as broke as Humpty Dumpty.

No comments: