11/25/09

All I See

I had a crazy weekend which consisted of everything but homework.

Saturday

Woke up at the asscrack of dawn, no, before that, at 5am. Packed up too much stuff, and the kids, then headed to Fresno. My sister's very kind friend offered to drive, smashed on the 99 and we arrived an hour early...about 8am. Call time was 9am, which was still an hour before showtime. Found a Starbucks - THANKGOD - and even the cashier, some guy that looked like he shoulda been playing defense for some football team, said "Damn, you're here early." Goodness I love that. I am NOT a morning a person and when I go to Starbucks and my drug (caffeine) dealers are all cheerful and happy and chirping I just want to shoot them. I like when my drug dealers are as grumpy as I am. I ended up being veryyyy content with my coffee because that sustained me for about...half of the day before realizing I needed to eat real food to feel better...around 4pm.

Arrived at Koligian Stadium for 1/2/3A Prelims promptly at 9am - after heading the wrong fucking direction - I HATE Fresno. Set up trophies, btw I got to drive a golf cart which I ended up NOT liking, and got the feel of the venue. Once the show started I kinda screwed up the exchange of tapes (I can't blame my kids) so I decided to just handle tape exchanges myself. I hardly ate anything the whole day, had 1 bottle of water, and did a shitload of stairs and running to hospitality. I was really pleased with how kind the hospitality women were to me because they were bitches to everyone else. I sort of abused their kindness by snagging food for my volunteers. Anyways, the day was soooo long and the whole time I wished Killer was around. We were both experiencing a long, sucky day but not experiencing it together...but if we were together then the day wouldn't be sucky.

By the end of the night I was SPRINTING back and forth between the center field and the Stat room because all 44 school folders needed complete Recaps which can't be printed until the last school's performance scores are tallied. The Godfather (George) asked me to handle trophies first and while I was arranging all 24 trophies/3 banners/3 boxes of medals/Yamaha prizes, the school bands were doing this weird thing where the percussion marches up to the awards table and shows off. I had worked with WBA 3 times and NEVER seen that happen before, so while I'm arranging trophies this one school is drumming TWO FEET away from the table. My ass was practically sitting on the first snare's drum lol. Eventually they move over and ANOTHER BAND replaces them. The fuck! Let me do my job!

After finishing up the trophies I run back to Stat to get the envelopes which have all scores, mp3's, dvd's, and recaps...turns out we have a computer problem with the numbers, then the announcers went ahead with Awards. I run back and THEN...end up having to walk with the drum major (presenting) of the host school because she has to MARCH AND SALUTE and couldn't have her hands full goddammit. So I was dressed and looking like a messy fool on the field handing off trophies.

***And all that stuff rightbefore the actual handing off of the awards was within a 10 minute time frame. Suck.

Finally, awards was over and One and I DEFROSTED in the heated Stat room. We were the last people to leave because Sam and company at the 4/5A site were taking their sweet time so I called up Killer <3. Now, by this time I finally had a chance to sit down for something longer than 5 minutes and I felt AAALLL my muscles and sore feet from the entire day.

It was completely lovely having Killer around the end of the night. It was like my reward for a bitch of a day. However, I also felt bad that first he had a bitch of a day then had a bitch of a drive to get up to Fresno. =/ We checked into the hotel, which was also VERY lovely. I was soooo tired that I felt stoned/drunk/nauseous and I couldn't eat my In-N-Out. Killer also told me that he picked LAPD =)

Sunday

Woke up at 8am. I sooo did not want to get out of bed. Got dressed, had a crappy hotel breakfast surrounded by rude high schoolers that were bunked at our hotel. I bet they lost. I hate high school kids. Headed to Buchanan HS for Championships after a quick detour to Starbucks for more coffee. My sister was being a real bitch around that time. I can't remember the details but she said I owed her gas money, which no, I was NOT going to pay her back. She ALWAYS signs up for these trips and vacations with NO MONEY in her own pocket. And she expects me to pay for her. Hellooooo I paid for the 2nd hotel room which was s'posed to be for her friends that flaked. I only asked One to come with me on this trip and I woulda comp'd her for any expenses. I hate dealing with people that are just out-of-this world mean and unappreciative. Like her.

Anyways, this day was a whole lot more chill because Mama V wanted me to relax until awards which was super kind of her but that left me the whole day to sink into the pain and soreness my body was feeling and time to watch bands. I hate watching bands because they make me complain..and sometimes I forget to watch my mouth and my surroundings as far as supporting band parents go heh. There was this moment where Killer and I were watching bands from this secluded Top Box window and this Clovis East woman came in to shoo us out because there was money being counted on that side of the box. Killer said he "hates when people make emergencies out of nothing" and that summed up the situation perfectly. First of all, the parents counting the money ASKED Killer to help them (shoulda told the bitch that), second, I was a PAID EMPLOYEE of WBA, not some random volunteer, third, we had badges, fourth, what did we look like? Middle school kids? Thefuck, we were minding our own fucking business. I told Mama V about it, turns out the lady is a friend of a friend so I felt like I should be obligated to like her but geez. I was really irritated. Like really. And that woman couldn't tell that Killer and I were clearly more interested in each other and our private window overlooking the bands instead of the thousands of dollars being counted in the room next to us.

Awards this time around was definitely more chill, I think. I was/am very thankful for all the super enthusiastic volunteers helping me out and getting the work done until random kids start showing up, bossing each other around and taking over my duties. It kind of worries me, no way in the sense that I want to be in charge or anything, but because if anything is miscommunicated/screwed up MY name is on the line. Just like the tape exchange mishaps from Prelims. There was this once incident right before Finals awards where RIGHT when I was about to explain the next step this kid comes up and cuts me off and right away everyone listens to him, doing work on his order. I was JUST about to explain, he comes in, cuts me off, and I'm just frozen there with this flabbergasted expression on my face. And then they all go grabbing yard markers and CHUCKING them off the field. Awards is sort of supposed to be a dignified (trying to, lol) ceremony - which was why I was sooo embarrassed when I had to walk out with trophies during Prelims - I get it now...why I don't like crowds of people haha.

What else...there were fireworks AWESOME! Next year I'm going to try to pick out a song to be played during the fireworks presentation if they decide to do that again. We may have copyright problems. We'll see.

I was excited to get my part of the job over and done with but maaan, I didn't want Killer to leave =( And he kept asking me to stay =(

No comments: